This is probably one of the best gifts I have ever received. It's the 1957 Nancy Drew Mystery Game, which I've wanted for the longest time. The playing board is a really pretty map of River Heights and each player drives a miniature metal roadster!

The object is to be the first to discover Nancy's whereabouts, as she is currently working on a case at a location based on one of the books--Red Gate Farm, the Tolling Bell, the Haunted Bridge, Blackwood Hall, the Old Attic, the Sign of the Twisted Candles, the Moss Covered Mansion, or the Hollow Oak. It also shows pictures of Moon Lake and the Drew Home.
To find Nancy, you fill in the name NANCY with your five colored markers on any one of the eight locations on the board. The first player to do this has found Nancy and wins the game. However, it is a little more involved in that as you throw the dice and move on certain spaces, you draw a Mystery Card and one of the characters from a Nancy Drew book tells if you are to place your markers or take them off. It is a whole lot of fun, especially when you have the opportunity to play with other Nancy Drew fans!

I love the idea of being Nancy Drew. when I was growing up, my Mom gave me "The Hidden Staircase" for Christmas 1968. That book sparked my imagination like you wouldn't believe. My younger sisters and I would explore under the stairs and in closets and other dark areas in our house looking for clues we would take turns writing until we found the objects of our search and "solved" our mystery.
ReplyDelete@drewfan112 The books really do bring out the little detective in you don't they? It sounds like you and your sisters had a lot of fun! I was pretty much on my own when it came to investigating. I remember one time I found a loose brick in our fireplace and was absolutely sure there were jewels or even cash hidden behind it. I worked and worked on scraping the mortar from the brick until at last it slide out. Sadly, there was nothing there, but the worst part was, the brick wouldn't fit back in! My mom was pretty upset and with good reason. The house wasn't ours, it was one we were only renting.
ReplyDeleteI sure hope your Mom didn't stay upset for very long and the brick was replaced.
ReplyDeleteWe did have alot of fun. Playing the PC games takes me back to that time and I am once again playing detective!
No, she wasn't mad for long, but after that, each time I thought I found something suspicious in the house that needed further investigating, she was quick to remind me how much it cost to have the fireplace repaired! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI agree, playing the PC games does take you back to that time. It's one way we can safely play out our inner detective isn't it?
Your blog is so awesome, Nancy! ˆˆ
ReplyDeleteAnd the ND board games looks interesting, too. Never seen such a thing ;)
Thanks for the nice compliment Alex! I'm glad you like it. The game is pretty hard to find these days, so I thought people might enjoy a chance to see it if they hadn't before. :D
ReplyDeleteThe board game looks awesome! E-bay has some of these but, they're not very cheap. By the way, I didn't know you had an AE, until I looked here. I'm currently reading it and it's very good so far! You should write more if you have the time.:D
ReplyDeleteThank you for the nice compliment Ezra! I'm so glad you are enjoying reading my AE. A friend suggested that I post it on my blog and I loved that idea. I actually do have plans to write a CRY AE and am working on an alternate ending to my Shadow Ranch Alternate Ending for the Magic Library. It will pick up where this one left off and introduce a few new characters to add even more excitement! :D
ReplyDelete