Back in the late 60's and early 70's, Mattel produced a line of small dolls, similar to Barbie, but much smaller (even smaller than Kelly). The dolls were called Liddle Kiddles and although they haven't been sold in stores for over 30 years, they can still be found today, mainly at estate sales and on eBay. However, many
of the dolls that survived are in very poor condition.Several years ago, I started a new hobby: purchasing troubled dolls and using dollmaking restoration techniques, transforming them into beloved characters. My favorites of course, are my Nancy Drew Kiddles. After cleaning the doll and reparing tears and broken wires, I then restore
the doll's hair to it's original state and repaint facial features. When creating a character like Nancy, I make an outfit similar to what she is wearing on the cover of the book, add miniature accessories, and then try to pose her in the same way she is featured.I've included pictures of four of the Nancy Drew dolls that I've created:
The Secret of the Old Clock, The Secret of Shadow Ranch, Mystery of the Tolling Bell, and Clues to Good Sleuthing, featuring a detective-clad Nancy and her faithful friend Togo. I hope you enjoy this little peek inside my Nancy Drew collection!
the doll's hair to it's original state and repaint facial features. When creating a character like Nancy, I make an outfit similar to what she is wearing on the cover of the book, add miniature accessories, and then try to pose her in the same way she is featured.I've included pictures of four of the Nancy Drew dolls that I've created:
The Secret of the Old Clock, The Secret of Shadow Ranch, Mystery of the Tolling Bell, and Clues to Good Sleuthing, featuring a detective-clad Nancy and her faithful friend Togo. I hope you enjoy this little peek inside my Nancy Drew collection!

I remember Liddle Kiddles. You have done a wonderful job restoring them. How many do you have?
ReplyDeleteGirlD, your dolls are so cute! Even my husband thinks they are adorable! :) You do very impressive work restoring them. It must be hard working with something so small. Your pictures are wonderful with the dolls matching the books! You are very talented!
ReplyDeleteGirlD, you have a very impressive collection of Nancy Drew memorablia!
Thank you both so much! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the pictures!! Grace, that's so neat that your husband even ejoyed them. My husband had a little trouble at first being excited about my collecting little dolls, but is now a real sport about it and very supportive.
ReplyDeleteDebbie, at the last count, I have 80 of the bend and pose Kiddles in my collection (including ones that are in their original state, ones that I've restored to their original state, and ones that I've restored and turned into other characters). I also have 65 assorted tinier Kiddles.
Nancy, that's great about your husband now being supportive of your hobby! Mine has been for me buying and playing the games and now the books! He even said at bfast he might read some of the books! Not sure if he's joking or not. LOL But he did look ND up on Wiki today! We had quite a conversation about her! :-).
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool, Grace!! He sounds like a great guy! It's amazing how they put up with our Nancy Drew addictions isn't it? LOL!
ReplyDeleteMy husband hasn't shown any interest in reading the books, but he's interested in trying one of the games. This is a huge milestone! He's thinking SHA might be fun to try. That seems like a good game to give him a peek into what the games are like!
Oh wow Nancy! I am sumbfounded! Those are AMAZING!! I love them!
ReplyDeleteFunny how you and Grace were talking about your husband's. I'm FAR too young to have one ;) but honestly, my 41 year old father borrowed SHA from me the other day and loved it. So tell your husbands if my dad can do it, they should. lol. My brother also steals my games from time to time, and my uncle plays them with me. Funny! Well, amazing job-they're beautiful!!
Thanks so much Caroline!
ReplyDeleteI'll let my husband know that he's in good company when it comes to other guys playing the games. Thanks for sharing that!!